General George Patton Museum
The Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor was established to preserve historical material relating to Cavalry and Armor and to make these properties available to Armor soldiers and for public exhibit and research. The Museum is administered by the U.S. Army Armor Center, Fort Knox, and is one of the largest in the U.S. Army Museum System.
The original museum was officially dedicated on May 30th, 1949. The present building was constructed between 1972 and 1992 without cost of the U.S. Government by the Patton Museum Foundation, Inc. with funds donated by thousands of individuals and organizations from around the world.
The Emert L. "Red" Davis Memorial Library contains reference materials relating to cavalry and armor, armored vehicles and equipment, and General George S. Patton Jr. These resources are available to Armor School soldiers and general researchers.
Museum galleries feature a variety of armored equipment and vehicles, weapons, art, and other memorabilia which chronologically present the development of the Armor branch from the beginning of mechanization to the present.
The "Patton Gallery" contains many personal items used by General Patton throughout his life.
Other historically significant vehicles and equipment are located in Keyes Park, adjacent to the Museum. In Keyes Park, you can see the history of Armor up close. From World War One: the French Renault FT17, the U.S. version of the FT17, and the British Mark V. World War Two: the U.S. M4 Sherman tank, the Soviet Union T34, and the German Panzerkampfwagan. The M48 Patton tank and M551 Sheridan tanks that were used in Vietnam are also part of the Park. Desert Storm is represented with the U.S. M1 Abrams tank and the Soviet built T72 tank.
In addition the over 300,000 visitors from Fort Knox and the surrounding communities each year, the Patton Museum serves as the local point for historical training of all Armor soldiers at Fort Knox.
General George Patton Museum is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media