The history of the county fair in Green County goes back more than 60 years. The local American Legion Post and Farm Bureau teamed up to sponsor/host a Independence Day celebration each summer. After a few years, the local Rotary Club took over sponsorship from Farm Bureau. In 1955 the American Legion Post assumed full responsibility for the fair at its current location at the end of Legion Park Road. After only a couple of years one of the first Fair Boards was formed consisting of about eight members two of which, Bobby Upton and Shively Mitchell, traveled to the state convention to begin the affiliation with Kentucky Association of Fair and Horse Shows. While at the convention they also secured a contract for carnival rides with only $100 binding the carnival to the commitment. The carnival showed up for fair week and that was the beginning of our modern County Fair Tradition. The first rides were assembled on what is now the high school baseball diamond and The Woodson Lewis Store constructed dugouts to display appliances and other products. Within a few years the fair was large enough so that the highlight event on Saturday night was the give-a-way and presentation of a new car.
Today's fair is held annually at American Legion Park and is presented with the cooperation and participation of not only the Green County Fair and Horse Show Officers and Members but The American Legion Post 124, The Sons of The American Legion, The American Legion Auxiliary, and countless other people and organizations that contribute time, funding, and resources.
Many things have changed over the years but the Green County Fair continues to provide a great time for folks of all ages!